15.10.12

Loquat Cake and The Spring in Brazil





Hi my dear friends! I would like to thank you all for your comments on the last tutorial post. I’m really happy to know that you find my work inspiring.

I just returned from Brazil where I spent the last month on vocation, visiting fond places, family and friends, satisfying local food cravings, taking a lot of photos and baking some sweets like this one I will share with you today.








Spring has just begun in southern hemisphere. Ipe amarelo, bougainvillea, orchids, white calla lilies, daises and roses were some of the flowers that brought color and grace to my precious days at my home state Minas Gerais. My passion for flowers started very early, since I was a little girl. Looking some old pictures I notice how I was always surrounding by them or holding one.

    My sister and me












At this time I visited some relatives at their farms. Besides the flowers, I was also looking for a fruit that I love but  I haven't eaten for a while: loquat. I could remember how great is to eat this fruit, fresh direct from the orchard. So I filled a basket with them and I prepared a magnificent cake.






I prepared two recipes for the felling. The first one is a loquat jam, and the second is a cream prepared with egg yolks, condensed milk and heavy cream. I made sponge cake layers and meringue frosting to cover the cake. Then I decorated it with some fresh flowers from my mom’s garden. So beautiful and so good.




 Loquat Cream Cake


Sponge cake
from the book Ladurée Sucré
Makes 3 6-in pan

1/2 cup /60 g all purpose flour
2/3 cup / 60 g potato starch
5 eggs
1/4 cup +1 tbsp / 60 g granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 340°F/ 170°C.
Prepare 2 baking pans with oil cooking spray.
Sift together the flour and potato starch.
Separate the egg whites and yolks.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with half of the sugar until pale. In another large dry bowl, with a clean whisk, bring the egg whites to foam. Once they are white and frothy, add the remaining half of the sugar and continue to whip until firm.
Right away, gently fold the sugar and egg yolk mixture into the whipped egg whites with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the flour and potato starch over the mixture. Gently combine: start with the spatula in the center of the bowl, work up the sides of the bowl and bring the mixture back down towards the center, all the while turning the bowl regularly. Continue until you have a smooth and homogenous mixture.
Divide batter equally into 2 greased 6-inch baking pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes until lightly colored. Remove from oven and allow to cool. 

Loquat Jam

1 pound loquat
½ cup water
1 Tb lemon juice
 3 ounces sugar
½ teaspoon pectin powder

Wash, remove the skin, the seeds and  also the slightly fibrous sac that surrounds the seeds. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes (jam will continue to thicken as it cools).

Cream Filling

1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 eggs yolk
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy cream

Soak the gelatin in 2 tablespoon cold water for 20 minutes. In a saucepan, place the condensed milk and egg yolks over medium heat, stirring until a custard form. Remove from the heat. Incorporate the gelatin into the custard. Allow to cool. In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Gently combine the whipped cream into the custard.


Meringue Frosting
(from here)

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
5 large egg whites, room temperature
Bring 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, the corn syrup, and 3 tablespoons water to a boil, stirring. Wash down side of pan with a wet pastry brush, and cook sugar syrup, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 230 degrees.
Meanwhile, beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
Add sugar syrup in a slow, steady stream down side of bowl. Beat on high speed until thick, fluffy, and cool, about 7 minutes.



6 comments:

  1. Wow.. you are an amazing photographer! I love your flower pictures...you must be a flower fairy! And OMG Loquats! I have a tree and have never known what to do with them. I am totally going to make this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always beautiful post! I wish we're having spring here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maravilhoso!! Pena que não nos encontramos minha pequena grande amiga artista!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, insanely beautiful. I love all the amazing colors of the flowers xx

    - Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing, beautiful, poetic, astonishing, breathtaking... and I could go on forever!!!

    you are the best!!

    kissed dear

    ReplyDelete
  6. ó eu ali! hehe
    Adorei o post, Lu
    beijos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...